Friday, February 24, 2012

Mrs. Spring Fragrance and Marriage

As i said in class, i feel that i may have viewed this story more sweetly than some. I'm not sure why that is, and am curious about responses to this take. I felt that Far's main goal was to present a marriage filled with love and to show that being arranged or not isn't important as love as both members care for each other. I feel that Mrs.and Mr. Spring Fragrance were very in love and also participated in a very "American" marriage. I am not as familiar as i should be with Chinese culture, but i felt that Mrs. Fragrance had much control and power as a wife and i felt that the communication and expressed love between the two was important in their marriage, both of these things being important to Americans in a relationship even today.

Mrs. Spring Fragrance sends a telegram to her husband asking to stay a week longer. I do not think that this was a sign of Mr.'s control over Mrs., but rather a courtesy. When you love someone you would normally tell them if you have changed plans and even ask it they mind that you stay.

In class we discussed the end of Mr. giving Mrs. the pendant and some said that his timing was poor. However, i think that it is completely understandable that he would wait until he knew she returned his affections before giving her a gift. I think that planning to give her the gift for a year is an extremely loving gesture and that if he has waited so long, he wanted a very loving moment to do it. Also, he may have been waiting even longer to give the pendant, but in missing her so greatly, he decided he couldn't wait.

Finally, one passage that i really liked is: "Mrs. Spring Fragrance began to wish that she could fall asleep and wake to find the week flown, and she in her own little home pouring tea for Mr. Spring Fragrance" (512). I have a feeling that some would interpret that as being chained to their spouse, wanting to be home just to take care of someone. I read, however, that this is simply another loving gesture. When you are married to someone and love them, you are more than willing to do tasks for them because it is a kind thing to do for someone you love.

I may be reading this story as much more lighthearted than others, but from experience, i know that marriage does not mean one is madly in love all the time. Marriage or long-term relationships include suspicion, miscommunication, jealousy, apology, and missing one another despite need to be apart. I really liked this story and plan to read more by Far about Mrs. Spring Fragrance.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your interpretation of the piece. Your reading isn't just sweet but (I think) definitely possible. When I read the story the first time, I didn't understand what was going on with the jade pendant. But I love the idea that the husband was indeed that thoughtful. Your interpretation makes me wish that the story went deeper into the characters' minds. Now I kind of want to read the story again so that I can see it this way.

    ReplyDelete