Friday, February 10, 2012

Mrs. Bennet in her own little world


There has been a lot of discussion about the characters and their flaws in class. I think what the thing what stood out the most to me about so many of the character's was that they all seemed to be in their own little world, for the most part.

If I had to vote on the character that was most detached from reality Mrs. Bennet would get the award. She is completely oblivious to her daughter's feelings and she doesn't seem to truly care about their happiness. She does not even seem to care that they marry compatible husbands (i.e.her reaction to the Lizzy and Mr Collins marriage proposal) all she seems cares about is getting them married off to men with money. 

The thing that annoyed me the most about her was the favoritism and bias she showed toward her daughters. Austen writes that "Elizabeth was the least dear to her of all her children" (71). It seems that her biased toward Lizzy unlike any of the other daughters stemmed from the fact that Lizzy actually spoke her mind and failed to conform to her mother's demands. It was like Mrs. Bennet finally met her match. I know we talked about mother's playing favorites in class and how it's not uncommon, but it makes me dislike her even more. (On a side note, I know Mr. Bennet had his favorite too (Lizzy) but for some reason I don't fault him for doing so. I guess it's because he unlike Mrs. Bennet seemed to truly care about his daughters happiness or at least Lizzy's anyway.)

Along with being a lousy mother, Mrs. Bennet was also a horrible wife. She was so detatched from her husband and seemed to be completely unaware of the fact. I actually empathized with Mr. Bennet because he had to put up with all of her shenanigans. It would have been interesting if Austen had made a sequel to the novel to find out what happened to the marriages of all of the daughter's especially since they had such "great role models"  to follow.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if Mrs. Bennett's detachment from reality was Austen's way of showing how an unhappy marriage can affect a woman's psyche. This is just speculation?

    ReplyDelete