Friday, February 3, 2012

I think it was interesting to see the relationships between the characters unfold, and the desperation or lack their of to find a significant other. I also liked how Austen presents each character's perspective on marriage from the view point of different characters. It was interesting to see how age and gender can effect one's view of the matter, and the desperation of the matter for some of the characters. The perspectives ran the gamit from Mrs. Bennet who was so desperate to find a husband for her daughters because she knew they needed to be taken care of, to Lizzy who seemed care less about getting married. Then Austen also included the male perspective as well which I thought was interesting. Mr. Collins desperation to marry completely turned me off to his character. I know he was trying to be noble and marry one of the Bennet sisters so they would be intitled to their inheritance, but when he was shot down twice and proposed to Charlotte, I lost respect for him. It was interesting to see the flip side of how the issue of marriage could be so stressful from a male perspective.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't call Collins desperate. He just saw marriage as something to check off his to-do list. Lizzy said no, so he asked Charlotte. She'll do.

    ReplyDelete