Friday, February 17, 2012

Two Friends and a New England Nun

After listening in class how others read each of the stories by Freeman, I kept thinking of my initial thoughts after reading “Two Friends” and “A New England Nun”. After reading “A New England Nun,” I thought, “Good for you, Louisa!” in terms of stumbling across the perfect opportunity and reason to end her engagement because she was happier being alone. She had settled into a way of life that was comfortable to her and to marry Joe would have been a huge disruption because he had been gone for so long and I don’t blame her for not wanting to disrupt her life; she is basically settling to marry a stranger because he has been gone for fourteen years. I wouldn’t want to marry someone that had been gone that long either. I had very similar thoughts after reading “Two Friends”. I didn’t see any sexual parallels between Abby and Sarah until they were brought up in class. I saw them as two friends who were each others family living together and being perfectly happy living without men in their lives. When the concept of a Boston marriage also came up in class and how this is a great example of it, I thought how many women have been in the same situation if they’ve ever lived with a roommate. I have lived with roommates for years and never thought of it as a marriage until now. I am sharing household responsibilities and splitting bills with another person and married people do the same so while I understand it, I think the concept of a Boston marriage is irrelevant now a days. I think it was relevant and could be seen as something out of the norm in the times that this was written but because it is such a common occurrence now, anyone that’s told they are in a Boston marriage would chuckle the way I did when I really thought about it.

2 comments:

  1. I too really enjoy Freeman's writing. While I don't think that Abby and Sarah were necessarily in a physical relationship together, the thought did cross my mind when I was reading the story. I think it's important to point out, though, the affection between members of the same sex was much more blatant and out in the open at the time this piece was written. As modern readers, we are somewhat used to the idea of homosexuality, and therefore tend to apply it to literature. In this case, however, as I said earlier, I don't think the two women were involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very satisfied with the ending of A New England Nun too. I was a little surprised by Louisa's decision to break off the engagement in such a settled and calm manner. After staying dedicated to Joe for so many years (while he was in another country), you would think that she would feel more strongly about Joe's potential infidelity. It is admirable, however, that Louisa keeps a strong disposition by respectfully dissolving her relationship with Joe. I am very glad that Louisa stood up for what she wanted by not marrying Joe. You go girl.

    ReplyDelete