Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Final Thoughts Concerning "Pride and Prejudice"


            Upon finishing Pride and Prejudice, I can honestly say that my initial opinion regarding the novel has not changed.  Although I appreciate Jane Austen as one of the best female writers to have ever lived, and one of the best writers in general, I can neither relate to her stories, nor do I find any enjoyment from her writing style and topics.  What I did enjoy about the novel, however, is the change that Elizabeth somehow came to experience by the end of the story.
            Initially, Elizabeth’s bursts of protest regarding a specific situation or individual would remain inner dialogue.  However, as the novel progressed, Elizabeth began to become more outspoken.  This can partially be attributed to Darcy, considering he seemed to bring out her inner voice, which was mainly used to confront him on what she considered at the time to be rude behavior.  I can imagine that at the time this book was published, it was probably, for the most part, uncommon to see such a strong-willed female protagonist.  Perhaps this is why the novel has stood the test of time?  Either way, I agree with the critics in regards to the scene in which Elizabeth stands her ground against Lady Catherine.  This event in some ways was probably more important that the prolonged engagement with Darcy.  It is during this confrontation that Elizabeth finally finds her voice, defends her family’s honor, and accepts who she is, both as an individual and in society.
            Despite my negativity, I can honestly say that I went into reading this book with an open mind.  Part of me wanted to like it, but I just could not get into it.  I guess I’m just more of a Hemingway person.

2 comments:

  1. Darcy and Elizabeth seem to be the big transformers in this story. It sometimes feels like they were one person during the first half and then became somebody else during the second half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am picturing Darcy and Elizabeth Transformers. I'd buy them.

    ReplyDelete