Thursday, February 9, 2012

Love Triumphs over Pride and Prejudice-How Predictable

Ironically, love has become the cure-all. As much as I enjoyed the book, I was a little disappointed at the predictability of the ending. Austen didn't surprise me at all with it because I saw it coming; but, I was hoping for more. Jane won the heart of Mr.Bingley and Elizabeth got the previously arrogant Darcy. Darcy's pride in his families social status has been conquered by his love for Elizabeth and Elizabeth's prejudice for Darcy has been conquered by her now realized love for him. Now both sisters will be close to each other for the rest of their lives and the Bennet family's social status has been elevated. That is just too perfect for my liking! I wanted more of a bang at the end, but instead it just stalled with the choice of a traditional, wrap-up ending. I think I wanted more excitement. For example, near the end when Lady Catherine comes to talk to Elizabeth about Darcy's desire to marry Elizabeth, I would have loved it if Elizabeth had popped Lady Catherine in her mouth. That would have been exciting! I would also have liked it better if Darcy had not done an about-face in his personality between the first half and the second half of the book. I thought Darcy was more interesting as an arrogant ass! Anyway, I am glad I read it and, on the whole, I found it to be an entertaining book even with its predictable conclusion!

3 comments:

  1. I agree that the happy ending wrap up was a bit disappointing. I'm assuming that Austen writes realistically about the situations in her novels (at least at the class level); thus, when she basically wrapped up all the loose ends in basically what amounted to a half chapter disappointed me. Showing that people (excluding the Wickhams) were not quite as happy as they thought would have been a better ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the ending. Of course, I like books that have a sappy and happy ending. I do like the idea of Lizzy punching Lady Cathrine but realistically I do not think ladies would have even thought of punching each other in that time period. And on the case of Darcy, Austen had to change him or Lizzy would never have married him because she still wouldn't be able to stand him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually had a question about this for discussion Wednesday that didn't come up. I found the ending to be incredibly predictable and although I will admit I am a sucker for a good love story, I didn't get that shock and awe reaction to this as I usually do in the instance of reading a romantic novel. I knew from the beginning even without having ever read this or without seeing the movies knowing the ending. I feel as if the endings predictability was Austen's downfall in writing this. While the humor in the novel was enjoyable, I would have liked it more if it had a twist.

    ReplyDelete