Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Lack of Male Importance in “Martha’s Lady”

Although I may have the instinct to run screaming from this piece because of its lack of a substantial plot, I never want to leave a piece without finding something to talk about. I didn’t really want to explore the potential lesbian undertones, between Helena and Martha, because I really don’t think there were any. Apart from that I couldn’t think of much else to say about this piece until I observed the obvious lack of male characters and the lack of male importance for the one and only male character in this piece, the Reverend Mr. Crofton. He is the only male character given any considerable time within this story, but he is minimized by the one woman who is kind to everyone, Helena. She states early on that “Ministers are only men” (Jewett 877). This comment shows a disregard towards male importance. Jewett even states that Helena viewed him as a conquest and, when it was time for Helena to leave, “she left the minister a rejected lover” (Jewett 878). Why would Jewett choose to introduce a male character into this piece only to minimize and embarrass him in front of the reader? Why would Reverend Crofton be the only one Helena truly disregards as unimportant? Could it be that Jewett places higher importance on female to female relationships then male to female relationships? I am inclined to say yes because it is the female to female relationships that last a lifetime and I believe that is a reflection of Jewett’s personal opinions toward male importance.

5 comments:

  1. Great post Angela! I totally agree that Jewett is downplaying the importance of a man in the happiness of a woman. Jewett seems to feel that women can have fulfilling relationships with other women, and they do not need a man to keep them happy. It seems to me as though Lily has a pretty tough married life, with being abroad for so long and losing children, and this may be more evidence to point out that Martha, who never married and who kept her passionate feelings for Helena for so long, is better off than Helena who went out and married a man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it quite sad that she introduced this man just to have him being left rejected. I felt bad for the poor man. I can;t help feeling that maybe for Jewett, a relationship with a man has a negative connotation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's a man of the cloth, though! Isn't he supposed to be celibate? His blushing reminds me of what I thought about the flapping canary in the cage at the approach of the male character in "A New England Nun" -- is the blushing a fear response or just general excitement?
    Also, I agree that Jewett is using the Reverend to make an unusual, almost counter-cultural statement about men (and possibly also about organized religion and "polite society").
    How many stories have we read about male protagonists in which flat, ineffectual female characters play "the girl"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Ryan, I would agree with you that Martha has had less misery in her life then Helena. In this story it appears that getting married and living abroad doesn't bring contentment to Helena; but, living a cloistered life in Harriett's home, consumed with memories of a loved one, has brought contentment for Martha.

    To Brittney, I also believe that Jewett intended to attach a negative connotation to relationships between men and women. Perhaps that is a reflection of Jewett's own personal feelings (or sexual preference).

    To Erin, I think it's only Catholic priests that have to take a vow of celibacy. They refer to Mr. Crofton as a reverend which implies that he is protestant, not catholic. I think his blushing was due purely to infatuation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget that Helena does get married and seems pretty happy in that regard.

    ReplyDelete