Friday, February 24, 2012

poor old woman magoun :(

After reading "Old Woman Magoun," I will admit once I realized what was going on when Lily was dying, I was a little shocked. I didn't see it coming but after rereading the story and thinking about Old Woman Magoun and what she had done, I couldn't help but have both empathy and sympthay with her. I could easily identify with how she was feeling after being confronted by Nelson Barry telling her he wants his daughter and realizing his plan, "I know what it is! You have been playing cards and you lost, and this is the way you will pay him" (Freeman 424). Who wouldn't be sad for Old Woman Magoun once she realizes Nelson is going to give away her granddaughter to a man who thinks she's beautiful? Lily is the only connection Old Woman Magoun has to her daughter and obviously wants to protect her. When she knows of Nelson's plan, I can understand how she would want to do anything to save her granddaughter from such a horrible fate. When Old Woman Magoun goes to the lawyer and knows then nothing can be done to keep Lily away from what Nelson has planned, out of fear she thinks Lily dying is the only way to save her. When she's grieving, it's hard to not feel sorry for her and understand her pain if you ever lost a loved one so while I don't condone killing a loved one to save them, I do feel for Old Woman Magoun and feel a bit sad for her having to deal with what she has done for the rest of her life.

3 comments:

  1. I admit that I also feel sorry for Old Woman Magoun. While I cannot condone what she did, at least she knows she did what she thought was best for Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that really excuses what she did, even enough to feel sympathy for her. Many terrible things are done with someone's best interests in heart, but that doesn't change the fact that they were reprehensible deeds. Forgive my use of a cliche, but the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

    There are times when a mercy kill is a valid option. I don't think this was one of those times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Stephanie and Ben. I believe that Old Woman Magoun did what she thought was best, but in no way do I condone what she did. This was not a valid option for a mercy killing. I think what she did was completely and morally wrong.

    ReplyDelete