Friday, February 17, 2012

New England Regionalist Writing

So far, I have really enjoyed reading Freeman, and I think that may be because I am from New England. I feel as if i understand her characters' behaviors and can actually relate each of these women to a family member. Much of the "Buck Up!" attitude and reserved emotional scenes are ones that I feel any Yankee can relate to. I found an article that Wikipedia has on regional writing, and in it are examples of other regional writers from each part of the states. Two of my favorite writers: Stephen King and Robert Frost are also New England Regional writers. I was wondering if anyone else had a favorite regional writer and if so, are they from your region?

They tell budding writers to 'write what you know,' and maybe the same is true for reading. Reading something you can identify with makes sense, and I know that it is definitely true for me.

Here is the link to the regional writers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Literary_Regionalism#New_England_regional_writers

2 comments:

  1. I really like Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl's Beautiful Creatures series. The series is based in Gatlin, South carolina and is written with the Southern accent and with descriptions of swampy areas. It has a supernatural twist which makes it really exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyla: You might also really like Sarah Orne Jewett and Rose Terry Cooke, two other 19th-Century NE regionalist writers! I think they are both excellent.

    ReplyDelete