Friday, February 10, 2012

Austen and Hemingway: In Retrospect


Although I appreciate Jane Austen for her writing style and accurate cataloging of aristocratic life in England in the early 19th Century, I cannot say that Pride and Prejudice was more enjoyable than Ernest Hemingway’s The Sun Also Rises. Many of the characters and plot sequences that Austen features seem unrealistic (whether overly foolish, like Mrs. Bennett, or too coincidental, like Elizabeth’s stumbling into Darcy). Also, although I certainly appreciate a happy ending, Austen seems to shove the ending at us. In an act of “deus ex machina,” Austen has both Bennett sisters suddenly married and happy at the very end of the work. Where did that come from?To me, Ernest Hemingway’s characters were much more realistic and accessible. I feel that this is partially due to his straightforward style of writing, but also in their mannerisms and behaviors. Could I be fulfilling the stereotype of the male reader by preferring Hemingway over Austen? Both The Sun Also Rises and Pride and Prejudice are about the pursuit of love. What is it that seems more feminine about the way that Jane Austen writes, and more masculine about the way that Hemingway writes?
I was glad that we were assigned Jane Austen’s letters to her sisters (& etc), as they give a pretty good context to the reading of Pride and Prejudice. The work was slightly tedious to me because the dialect of Jane Austen seemed to be a bit passive and overly descriptive, and, especially because it takes place in the early 19th Century, it seems less relatable. The letters give a real life context to the work. Her letters contain gossip and social priority, just like the storyline of Pride and Prejudice. I certainly appreciate the work more having read Austen’s letters. 

5 comments:

  1. I don't think you're "fulfilling the stereotype of the male reader." In many ways, Hemingway's characters are more relatable because you see more of their faults. The Sun Also Rises is more believable because we don't know if the characters have a happy ending. I think you're simply being rational about the reality of the text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think Hemingway's characters are much more believable. Going off of the differences between the two, the thing that I found interesting was that in Pride and Prejudice the characters do a complete turn around and change dramatically from the first half of the book to the second. In contrast, in The Sun Also Rises, the characters do not seem to change at all. This makes Hemingway a bit more realistic as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The characters of Sun are more believable, but I found myself unable to relate to them and uninterested in their petty problems. With so little description, I couldn't get into their heads and spent most of the book as though I was staring at static images of people rather than watching them live their lives. Austen's characters may have been exaggerated, but I found them likable and interesting--I found them so relatable that the scenes with Lady Catherine caused me to feel a strong mixture of disgust and embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As novels of manners the two are so different on the surface as to seem almost incomparable. Jake is living in a Europe in which familial connections of class in romantic pairings is a joke-- Brett's marriage is an abusive sham, Robert Cohn's "courting" and coveting of Brett is an irritation and an embarrassment to everyone, especially Jake. And as dramatic as the events in TSAR are, you get the sense that the import, if not the trauma, of the running of the bulls to the characters will fade with the hangover. Where the action on Sun Also Rises seems to turn much more on existential ideas of desire and self interest, the chief redeeming quality of the dramatic action in Pride and Prejudice (we can quibble about this) is Darcy's and the Bennet familiy's compassionate actions in the case of Lydia and Wickham, protecting the former and punishing the latter by binding them together in marriage. Where in The Sun Also Rises (and I believe others have complained about the utter unlikability of those characters for this reason) do we see anyone protecting anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll push back here against the ideas that the changes in the characters in P&P are complete surprises. Doesn't Austen do a decent good explaining *why* they change? I mean, isn't that the point of the whole book?

    ReplyDelete