Friday, February 10, 2012

My Chosen Interpretation

I have read Pride and Prejudice before in another class and have heard a few interpretations of its too good to be true plot line. A common opinion is that Austen wrote the novel as a satire. Her rather sappy picture perfect ending especially lends itself to a satirical interpretation. Of course the sassy heroin gets the hot, rich guy, her super nice sister gets the super nice (yet again rich guy) that she is in love with, and the two worst characters end up together and punishing each other via marriage. Perfect, right? This would never happen in real life, but it is nice to think so is it not? Well I am choosing to think so. Literature is there for our interpretation. Once the novel has left the author, it belongs to the reader and their views. I am consciously choosing to ignore the probable satire and going the hopeless romantic route. After all, one reason that we read books is to escape into another world, so why wouldn’t we want our alternate world to have a happy ending?

1 comment:

  1. I agree, although reading this as a satire makes me respect Austen a great deal more, it is difficult not to find yourself caring about what happens to these ridiculous people are probably don't deserve each other. But I suppose that's what makes it kind of fun to read about. Like Jersey Shore with more propriety.

    ReplyDelete