Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mr. Bennett

First off, I really love Pride and Prejudice. I know that it seems like nothing happens in this book, but I think many things happen. They just aren't the huge dramatic episodes that we might like to read about. One of the reasons that i do enjoy this book, is the character of Mr. Bennett. He is really one of my top 3 favorite characters from this book. I think that he has a really keen, if slightly mean, sense of humor. I find that his interactions with Mrs. Bennett are quite entertaining. He really let's his sarcasm fly when it comes to his wife. I have always found it funny when she speaks of her nerves and he says that he has the utmost respect for them since they had been his companions for so many years. Another quality in Mr. Bennett that makes me like him, is his affection for Lizzie. One of my favorite lines in the whole book comes after Mrs. Bennett tells him to go talk some sense into Lizzie so she will marry Mr. Collins. Mr. Bennett tells Lizzie that she will have to speak with just one of her parents "because your mother will never speak to you if you don't marry Mr. Collins, and I will never speak to you if you do." You can see how much he wants his daughter to be happy in this scene. He knows Mr. Collins will not make Lizzie happy and he will not put her in a position that will cause her to be unhappy for the rest of her life. Now that is a pretty nice dad.

3 comments:

  1. I love Mr. Bennett too. He is so cheeky, and perfect for handling a house full of excited women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love Mr. Bennett, he seems to be one of the only people who genuienly cares about Elizabeth. Her mother just wants her out of the house so she (the mother) can focus on the other girls (probably just Jane).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is important to note how Mr. and Mrs. Bennett's marriage functions. It is almost as if Jane Austen includes these details to give Elizabeth a hint not to mess up when it comes to marriage. It seems that Mr. Bennett likes to play games with his wife, to see how much he can frustrate her. No truly happy couple would do this in their free time! Mr. Bennett wants Elizabeth to be happy in marriage, unlike himself.

    ReplyDelete