Thursday, February 2, 2012

True Love Story?

I have heard many people count this book as one of the great love stories.I do not believe I am one of them. I think that the first time I read the Twilight books, I was like "oh these are kind of neat" and then the second time through it was more of a "oh these are terribly unhealthy". Reading Pride and Prejudice as potential material for my future classroom, I'm not so sure that I would use it. Not to completely hate of Jane Austen, I think she is very funny and it is notable that she was a writer and a female at all. This being said, the whole idea of the love trials going on are not a very good example for young adult students. Now, my opinions may be steeped in bias since I am a huge Charles Dickens and Charlotte Bronte fan, (both having books filled with action and life themes) but I think devoting a book to the petty issues of romance might not be the best choice for a selection from the classics.
While the love story may fall flat and only be applicable to the time of Jane Austen, I do commend her strong female character, Elizabeth. Elizabeth, along with her sister Jane do exhibit personal traits that could serve as good examples to readers.
But back to my original point, Mr. Darcy becomes this character that the reader loves to hate. Not to bring up another Jane Eyre reference, but the Mr. Darcy-esque character becomes humbled and redeemed for his proceeding lies and boorish behavior with a new physical handicap that brings him down. Mr. Darcy may make up  for his initial arrogance  somewhat with his deeds, but I wonder what will happen after the book ends. I almost have more hope for Charlotte and Collins. They are at least aware of their marriage being more of a business deal. I highly doubt that Mr. Darcy's ways will be miraculously changed and that Elizabeth will suddenly become an obedient wife. Darcy's attraction to her is mostly in her resistance. She is a challenge for him. Of course they are happy at the end, but once she is had, the attraction will be gone. I don't believe that this is a good or healthy view in regards to a "great love story". But then again, people flip out over Romeo and Juliet too and this is WAY less dramatic.

6 comments:

  1. This work does not resemble the "great love story" to me either. It seems like there would be much less quibbling in the Disney version of this. The idealistic perception of romantic love in marriage is contrasted by the aristocratic perception of status and wealth in marriage. I think that the most accurate perception of marriage is how well the husband and wife get along (on a daily basis). Clearly, Mr. and Mrs. Bennet are not very blessed in this category. Although it seems to be the most depressing situation, I think Charlotte may hold the most realistic perspective on marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this is not your typical love story but if you think about it, opposites attract is a very popular way that authors and movie makers make the people in their stories fall in love. In real life this generally does not lead to a healthy or long marriage but who knows, if Darcy and Elizabeth have kids it might give them something to agree upon and keep their love alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would argue that this book tells more of society at that time than is does for romance. Yes, much of the book is about courting and arranging marriages and all that junk, but reading the story in a historical sense shows a lot about what was important to women and families at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the views on "opposites attract" and the society presented at the time of this novel. The first movie reference that comes to mind for me is The Notebook. It is a priome example that takes conflict and mixes it with love and class. Allie comes from a wealthy family who want her to marry someone "suitable" to her lifestyle, but Allie is hopelessly in love with Noah who her parents consider "trash," even though he works and would probably be able to provide an average life for Allie. They almost succeed with her engagement to Lon, who has more than enough money to provide a high-class life for her, but Allie ends up choosing love over duty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The choices made in the book are definitely not the most healthy. Most of the matchs made within don't seem to be on the track to end well, though I would argue that Darcy/Elizabeth would be one that would end well. I don't see Elizabeth rolling over and submitting to Darcy, keeping the marriage interesting with banter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sound you heard was poor Jane Austen turning over in her grave hearing her work compared to Twilight. Just kidding.

    I do think, though, that Austen's point here is that for her characters, these issues of romance ARE dramatic, important, and vital. I, too, adore Dickens and Bronte novels, but also keep in mind that Austen helped pave the way for them.

    ReplyDelete