Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Did Jane Austen put herself in Pride and Prejudice?

Ok, before anyone says anything, I realize Pride and Prejudice should be in italics, I just don't know how to italicize in the post title.  Now, on to my question.
I started thinking, after Dr. H. went over Jane Austen's biographical information, that maybe Jane Bennet's character is a representation of Jane Austen herself.  The most obvious connection is that they share the same first name.  However, when you start to look at Jane Bennet's character, I start to see similarities between her and the biographical description of Jane Austen.  Jane Bennet is very humble and poised, as she was "much gratified" (9) that Mr. Bingley decided to dance with her, but at the same time was very discreet about her feelings. Dr. H. said something along the lines that Jane Austen thought of herself as the least talented female writer ever (a sentiment I agree with-- just kidding Dr. H.).  However, I would venture a guess that Austen really knew that she had literary talent, but was too humble to gloat or brag.  Much like Miss Bennet, who has to know she is pretty, but at the same time does not gloat on the admiration Mr. Bingley shows toward her.  Again, in her conversation with her sister Elizabeth, Jane reveals that she was very flattered Mr. Bingley asked her to dance twice, and had "not expected such a compliment" (10).  I do not think that Jane lacks confidence, I just think she is cautious and does not let emotions cloud her thinking.
Another small connection I made was that both came from a family with a bunch of sisters (not sure how many sisters Austen had or if she had any brothers).  Does anyone else see a parallel between the two?  Has there already been research done on this?  Any info would be much appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. I think there could definitely be a parallel there. It is very similar in "Sense and Sensibility" with her character of Elinor, the older sister who is also humble and poised compared to the younger Marianne, who is impulsive and spirited.

    In Austen's life, she had only one sister, but they were very close and both died unmarried. Obviously, marriage was a chief concern of hers, which showed in her writing. Also, in each novel, there are two main sisters among the rest which are close in age and both trying to be married.

    I certainly think there is a lot of autobiography in this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except I don't think there are any writers (or journalists who aspire) in this novel, a la The Sun Also Rises. :)
    Your theory may be actually supported by Austen's sister's name-- Cassandra Elizabeth Austen, but I always thought that there had to be a lot of Austen in Lizzy-- wit and observation are so important to her character, and so essential for the kind of intricate "comedy of manners" that Austen's doing here. We can have it both ways I expect-- fictional constructs aren't supposed to map perfectly onto reality, are they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be hard NOT to put some of yourself into something you write so I'm sure Austen did as well.

    She was the 7th of eight children so she definitely wasn't second in line but she was the second girl in the family. Perhaps her birth order came into play in choosing Lizzie's character. Whatever the reason, it works and I'm enjoying this piece so far! Trifle or not!

    ReplyDelete