Thursday, January 19, 2012

Well I'll be

After reading Matt Myer's previous post that questioned whether or not she actually killed her husband, I got to thinking that this actually might be a statement in itself. This is a great play and really keeps the reader invested in the crime solving and the subtle gender statements. This may, however, only be on the surface. This may be a stretch, but I really love having a solid opinion about something, and then having that opinion be thrown off the bridge so I have to think again. There really is no solid evidence that Mrs. Wright actually killed Mr. Wright. The play gives clues to how happy and lively she used to be, and how her current state is a quiet and domestic woman. They make her husband out to be a bit of a bad guy, and the reader almost thinks that maybe he deserves it. Maybe our assumptions reveal something greater about feminism and another direction this play could possibly go. Maybe this play sets it up to look fairly conclusive that she did commit the crime, but there is still no proof. By our assuming that she killed him, we are perhaps reinforcing negative female stereotypes. The idea that if oppressed enough, we will snap and kill our husband over a "trivial" issue. I kept wondering what happens after the play ends, but then I just laughed at myself for not realizing that she could have very well been innocent and my presumed guilt reflects that I probably have watched too many Julia Roberts movies.

1 comment:

  1. Or maybe too many episodes of "Snapped!" That's what this play reminds me of. A tale of a mild mannered woman who one day snaps and murders her husband!

    ReplyDelete