Saturday, January 14, 2012

King's "Balcony"

I really loved this piece. It reminded me of when I was young and could hear the women of my family talking to each other while i was supposed to be going to bed. The imagery King uses of that comforting, protecting mother is one that most children can understand and relate to. Although this is obviously a piece of writing geared toward women, i feel that this comforting, Southern characterization could describe any gender parent. This is what is so intriguing about studying sex in writing and exploring stereotypes, because it gives us a chance to look back at these stereo-types, such as the fact that "men are not balcony sitters," and disprove them.

I'm so glad to be taking this class and looking at the transition that writer's subject matter and ideas of gender (especially feminist writers) have made as the feminist movement's goals changed over time. I believe that all writing reflects hopes and struggles of the people in the time it is written and that especially in the last 200 years, feminist writing has changed drastically in regards to the goals of the writers. I hope to continue to see a shift in these writer's objectives as we move into more modern writing, and I'm also anxious to see how male feminist writers explore these stereotypes and change their objectives in writing as the semester goes on.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Kyla about this piece. It was probably my favorite piece that we have read so far (knowing that we haven't read many pieces, but I loved it anyway).

    I felt that readers could read the piece and hear the women talking, and not only hear the women talking, but hear the slow-draw of the narrator's voice which in itself seemed comforting to me as a reader.

    I cannot wait to discuss "Trifles" by Glaspell during our class on Wednesday. I have read it for two different classes previously (English 301 and English 313) and I love hearing the discussion it sparks through the students in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete