Friday, January 13, 2012

Grace King's The Balcony as an Escape


I found Grace King’s “The Balcony” to be the most intriguing work that we have covered so far. The first paragraph does a wonderful job detailing the scene of a lazy southern evening. To agree with Ryan, I did feel somewhat conflicted by the idea that men aren’t fit to sit on balconies. Apart from the slight rush of peering over an edge to find myself a great distance from the ground, I have always found balconies pleasant. However, King seems to refuse the presence of men as an attempt to keep the one area that she values sacred. 
However, I can certainly respect the desire to preserve the “unique and peculiar pathos” of the women’s story telling. The balcony functions as an escape for the women of the household, as it is as far away from the house as possible (while still being part of the house). It is almost as if King is suggesting that the women cannot escape the confines and responsibilities of the house that have tied them down. They try to separate themselves from it as much as possible by occupying the balcony and tasting the fresh air that does not permeate from the house. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with this, I don't necessarily think King is saying that men CAN'T balcony-sit, just that in her experience, they don't. I think this piece is less about man-bashing and more about how women can just be with other women in their own sacred place, away from the home. Like you said, Matt, it's "far away from the house as possible (while still being part of the house)." I like the idea that it is still connected, but distanced from the home and it's responsibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A smart post, Matt--and a good response, Kyla!

    ReplyDelete