Thursday, January 19, 2012

Trifles...Another episode of "Snapped"

I really enjoy the comments regarding the innocence of Mrs. Wright but they are completely wrong! This is a classic case of a woman who fell in love with Mr. "Wrong!" She was a woman who loved life and enjoyed singing; but, after years of constant spiritual and mental deprivation, at the hands of her emotionally disturbed husband, she finally snapped. I believe her husband's vicious murder of her beloved bird is what sent her over the edge. When the bird was found, it had not decayed so it proves that the bird was killed very close to the time of Mr. Wright's death. The bird was also killed in a similar way as Mr. Wright which indicates the strangulation of Mr. Wright was clearly an act of revenge. I believe the bird was murdered the day of Mr. Wright's death and the bird's death killed everything honorable within Mrs. Wright. She carefully wrapped the bird (and her sanity) up carefully and then after Mr. Wright went to sleep she carefully knotted the rope in preparation to slip it over her husbands neck. She then proceeded to carry out his murder. Even if the women revealed their secret and the truth came out, I believe she would have been found innocent by reason of temporary insanity and sentenced to serve time in a mental institution...which is probably where she needs to be after being married to that man! After a couple years of treatment, she would have regained her sanity as well as her previous joy for life, been released, remarried and living happily in a small town singing lullabies while rocking her little baby to sleep!

3 comments:

  1. That's a very interesting take and I agree with you. I personally think Mrs. Wright had a good reason to kill her husband. Not that you mentioned this, but back then they did not have animal cruelty laws like they do today and killing an animal should not mean death but in the time period when this was written if Mrs. Wright did not do something to avenge her poor innocent bird and herself no body else would have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you, in that time period, no one else (men) would have cared about a woman's dead bird. That probably would have been considered a "trifle."

    I seem to always want to reverse the roles with myself. What would I have done in that situation in that time period if my husband had basically sucked the life out of me? Most likely, the same thing, although I would have gotten the heck out of dodge. Angela, the ending of your post made me laugh, great fairy-tale ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "Snapped" analogy is pretty terrific!

    ReplyDelete