Friday, January 27, 2012

Hemingway's Style - and Brett

The Sun Also Rises is the first novel that I have read written by Hemingway. I did not know what to expect when I first opened the book, but now that I've finished the novel, I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it. What I enjoyed was Hemingway's style of writing. I was not such a huge fan of the plot of the story exactly, but I did enjoy reading it. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but knowing Hemingway's style of writing now, I would like to go on and read another novel written by him. Does anyone else agree?

Also, is it so terrible that I am a fan of Brett's character? She does terrible things and seems to lead Jake on throughout the novel, but I feel like she has a reasoning behind them. Also, "cheating" or seeing other people while you are with another was not so frowned upon socially in the early 1900's. I'm not exactly sure why, but rules about monogamy were not how they are viewed socially now. Maybe Brett did have feelings for Jake, but knew it could never work (maybe because of his injury, but then again maybe not), so she wanted to keep him around as a friend...?

3 comments:

  1. I'm back and forth with Brett. But someone in class today did say that all these men prettymuch knew what they were signing up for (with the exception of Romero) and they all stuck around. At least she was honest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about how I feel about this novel, except reversed. I didn't like the style of writing very well, but i love the story. I feel that it's a great representation of real people interacting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post because it seems so honest--Molly is pretty sure she likes this book, but doesn't know why. She will also admit to loving an (on the surface) unlikable character. Put me in that camp, too. Brett is a terrific character: flawed, cruel at times, and absolutely captivating. Shelbi and Kyla's comments are great, too. After all, it's okay to use this blog space to work out your feelings about/reactions to a book or a character!

    ReplyDelete