Monday, January 16, 2012

Margaret (vs) Anne

I love the readings that we have read for our class so far. I was a bit wary at first learning all of what we were going to be reading because of the title of the class, but so far the readings are great!

I had previously read Anne Bradstreet's poem, "An Author to Her Book" before, but I had not yet read Margaret Cavendish's , "The Poetess's Hasty Resolution". I love reading Bradstreet and I'm learning to like  Cavendish. When I read both of the poems, I felt as if they were saying somewhat of the same things. Both authors thought of their works as their own children and that there should have been time between the writings of them and the publishings. I did not know that Cavendish wrote her poem before Bradstreet though and it made me wonder if Bradstreet had the chance to read Cavendish's poem before Bradstreet wrote her own. Did Bradstreet get ideas for her poem from Cavendish, or was it purely coincidence that both woman wrote about relatively the same thing? I would love to know the answer to that question.

I hope I enjoy our other readings as much as I have enjoyed what we have read so far. I'm very excited to discuss Susan Glaspell's, "Trifles" this week in class. I have read it for two classes previously and love the conversation it sparks with the students in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment