Thursday, January 19, 2012

Overused?

Looking at the syllabus for this class, I was almost disappointed to see that we would be reading Trifles. I've read it in at least 4 other English classes at Shepherd, and I didn't think I would be able to find any new insights or ideas. However, after discussing the play in class, I loved how we could come up with so many different interpretations of just the last line, "We call it -- knot it, Mr. Henderson." In addition to the interpretations mentioned in class, I saw that the women are now knotted together into a unified effort to keep Mrs. Wright from being found guilty of the murder. Perhaps I'm reaching, but I like the wordplay in that line. Whether Trifles is overused or not, something new can always be discovered in the text.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I read this previously and just took ait for face value. I enjoyed the story in my previous class, but I loved how we got to take the piece apart and see how our opinions on this piece reflected many of our views on femininity and stereotypes in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah--the "knot it"/"not it" was a new realization for me, too!

    ReplyDelete