Thursday, January 12, 2012

Mrs. Adolphus discussion

So I know that we haven't discussed Fanny Fern's "Mrs. Adolphus Smith Sporting the 'Blue Stocking'" yet, but I wanted to possibly get a discussion going on so I can see if I am reading the piece how it was intended to be read.  For me, I really enjoyed the piece.  I thought it was funny and had a sense or realism to it; it seemed as though Mr. and Mrs. Aldophus Smith were an everyday, run-of-the-mill couple.  The dynamic of their relationship seems to clearly be defined by gender roles in my opinion.

First and foremost, Mr. Adolphus Smith is portrayed as someone who looks toward his wife when he can't quickly figure out a problem, instead of spending time thinking up a solution.  For example, he could not find his Sunday pants, did not know what to do when their child swallowed a button, and could not remember what his wife wanted to order from the butcher.  The piece is extremely stereotypical, with the husband unable to problem solve, while at the same time expecting his wife to easily and quickly come up with a solution.  At the end, Mr. Aldophus Smith clearly has no clue how to do what would be considered *stereotypically* female work, as he had been holding his child upside down for quite some time to get the button out of his throat.

If I didn't find this piece so funny, I might actually be offended by it.  However, I think men do have a tendency to look toward their wife, girlfriend, mother, or other major female relation to solve problems for them.  I do believe that both Mr. and Mrs. Aldophus Smith are conforming to their gender roles, and expect the other to do so as well (even Mrs. Aldophus Smith taking her husband's name is following gender role norms).  I have no problem with clearly defined gender roles, as I think they would exist naturally anyway.  That being said, I really like this piece.  I think it is hilarious and I am looking forward to discussing it in class with everyone!

4 comments:

  1. I think that you read it correctly, but I always thought that the stereotype was that men are the problem-solvers. They don't want to hear about the problem as much as fix it. The piece made me laugh as well. My favorite line was, "'Wife! the baby has swallowed a button'--(Reverse him, dear - take him by the heels)." Such a great mental picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was interesting to compare and contrast the factors that hindered Kern's ability to write publish her work and to the obstacles that Bradstreet and Cavendish faced. Fern's obstacles seem comical, as you previously stated, and trivial compared to the obstacles that Bradstreet and Cavendish faced. It's also interesting to see how the "assigned roles" these women had to adhere to affected their work. It seems that Bradstreet and Cavendish saw themselves as being inferior as women which seemed to be based around women's role in society at the time. They felt that they're work was unworthy, especially Bradstreet. However, Fern accepted her female roles as seamstress, cook, nurse. etc. but she didn't allow that to define her or hinder her ability as a writer. She made it work so that she could fulfill all of these roles and be able to write in between making dinner or sewing a pair of pants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was reading this I was thinking of Mr. and Mrs. Darling in "Peter Pan". While Mrs.Darling is already ready for the party and putting the children to bed Mr. Darling is yelling about his cufflinks. Once he finds his cufflinks he is then upset because he cannot tie his bow tie and Mrs. Darling has to tie it for him. Fern's piece does seem to stereotype the man and women. The women takes care of the house and knows where everything is and the man is so busy he has to be told where his stuff is and cannot do things for himself, like..... tie a bow tie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the Fern piece reads like a standup act for the most part-- "tut tut, a mother's work is never done" sort of thing. Also there's an ironic twist to what she's writing about-- the horseman with the "liberty or death" banner. Which has Mrs. Adolphus chosen in her own life, do you think?

    ReplyDelete