Thursday, January 26, 2012

First There's Misery, Then There's Jake.

Up to this point in The Sun Also Rises, I've believed that Hemingway was aiming for the reader to remain sympathetic towards Jake throughout the novel, but my patience is wearing very thin. While I like Jake's character overall, and don't think I would have liked the story from anyone else's point of view, I still find myself frustrated with him. Jake has remained in the role of everyone's "best friend" and I'm dying for Jake to find happiness of his own. He seems depressed at some point in every chapter. And, even though Jake is the protagonist I haven't seen much character development arrise with him. He still seems to be the same person he was at the beginning of the novel, unchanged by all of his traveling adventures. Instead he still tortures himself by pining after Brett and wishing he could be with her. Ultimately, Jake sizes himself up to be less than a man because of Jake Jr.'s incompetence, and also by the love he feels for Brett.

Jake will not and never will act on his feelings for Brett, not because she's engaged to Mike or has had a meaningless fling with Cohn, or the countless other men that are mentioned, but because he limits himself from the ability to have sexual relations with her (and Brett doesn't help him forget about it). Jake is so helplessly in love with Brett that it's almost pathetic. He is willing to drop anything and everything he is doing to rescue her like a knight in shining armor whose services seem to not be appreciated. Over the course of this novel, including the background information we have been told, Brett has easily manipulated Jake so much so that she knows he will always be there for her whenever she feels it's necessary.

I also thought the comment Mike shouts in Chapter XVI was very ironic: "Bulls have no balls!" For this reader, I really wish Jake would finally grow a pair and tell Brett to get lost and quit being miserable. And, this may be cheesy but I feel like Jake should break into a song every time Brett appears on the page...I'm thinking "Toxic" by Britney Spears should do it!

3 comments:

  1. I would agree, Ashley, that there does seem to be some role reversals going on between Brett and Jake. At times I view Brett's character as a little too masculine, especially in the relationship and sex area, and I find Jake's character a little too feminine. Perhaps Hemingway intended this as a way to break through the traditional gender stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see "The Sun Also Rises" as more of a topographical map of human relationships It's kind of like we as readers ARE Jake et. al, watching the gore and misfortune and mysterious spectacle of their lives and desires play themselves out.

      Delete
  2. Great post, Ashley! And "Toxic" does seem like a good song choice. :)

    I do think we see some development in Jake, but we'll talk about that on Monday. I would also say that we do see actions from Jake--he asks Brett to be with him, to choose him, but she says no.

    ReplyDelete