Thursday, January 19, 2012

random thoughts on Lucille Clifton

After reading Lucille Clifton's poems, my immediate thought was thank God, I am so glad I am not the only woman thinking these things. As a woman, Clifton's poems captured the feelings I have about my body and the feelings I have from month to month and also how I know I am going to feel as I get older and go through every change a woman eventually goes through. She describes womanhood and the connection a woman has to her body with the subjects of her poems focusing on the subject. Her poems are not only informative of a woman’s feelings but are also sexual with the poem, “homage to my hips.” Clifton’s poem, “wishes for sons” is exactly how I think most women feel towards men especially during certain times of the month because men have no idea what it is like to be a woman. My boyfriend disagrees with my thoughts that men get off easy compared to women that they don’t have to go through half the stresses a woman goes through when it comes to having children and everything that comes with it. While he sees my point that women do go through quite a bit more than men physically, his side to the argument is that men also face stresses such as worrying about getting a job that makes enough to provide for a family along with the stress of job security and ensuring that if the worst case scenario happens, he would still be able to provide for the family. While I see his point, I can’t help but argue that he still has no idea what a woman goes through. He cannot understand the connection a woman has to her body the way Clifton describes in her poetry.

3 comments:

  1. This is in response to your boyfriend's view. Now a days women have to not only have the children but also provide for them. I know a lot of single mothers or woman who are living with men/the children's father who do not have jobs and just stay at home all day long waiting for the woman to bring the money home. Now a days the woman gets both stresses in a lot of situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you. I also know a lot of single mothers in that situation and I was also raised by a single mother. Because he was raised in a very traditional home, he sees things as very black and white whereas I see the.gray area and introduce the gray into his persepectives. I agree that some women also face those same stresses and again, some men don't understand that which is why I feel Clifton's poems are so empowering to women because makes the point that women endure the same stresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Brittany--we are going to help you educate your boyfriend. :) I kind of love that you brought his perspective in. It's a great reminder of how people (young people, even, and people that we like--I'm sure he's a great guy!) can have different (even old-fashioned) ideas about gender roles.

    ReplyDelete