Thursday, January 19, 2012

No Hard Evidence in Trifles


I’d like to start off by saying that I always appreciate a good play because it definitely gets the reader more involved. It can be so boring to read short story after short story. Trifles is a play that has been heavily covered in my past few English courses, but for some reason, it never struck me that Mrs. Wright was the actual culprit this time. Of course, she seemed very nervous and unsure of the entire situation, but that is not necessarily because she had killed her husband. Her awkward behavior could very easily be attributed to the general fact that her husband  has recently been killed. Perhaps she was in such shock that it never occurred to her to alert the authorities. Lewis Hale states that she seemed slightly scared when he was talking to her. Although this fear could have originated from the idea of going to prison, it could have been caused by the realization of the magnitude of the situation, or perhaps the thought of the potential proximity of the killer. I will, however, admit that the evidence against Mrs. Wright is overwhelming (probably enough to convict her in a court of Matt Myers). Does anyone else think that Mrs. Wright is innocent? 
Susan Glaspell does a really good job setting the patriarchal atmosphere of the time period in which this work was written. It is very interesting to note that the males in the script are given first names, but the women are only assigned the titles of their men. 

7 comments:

  1. I hadn't considered that Mrs. Wright could actually be innocent, but after reading your post, Matt, you may have me convinced. At least I'm willing to toy with that idea now. There is a small chance that she could be innocent. Glaspell leaves it open for the viewers and readers to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was trying to find evidence that were support Mr. Wright committing suicide, but there just does not seem to be enough. If he would have actually been hanged rather than suffocated, then I think there would have been strong evidence to suggest that Mr. Wright committed suicide. Like you said though, there is an overwhelming amount of evidence against Mrs. Wright, and would surely be convicted if I was in the jury.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read this for at least two other classes, and I'd always assumed that Mrs. Wright was guilty. Somebody should write a sequel. I'd wondered if anyone else had picked up on the use of first names versus just last names in the play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! I really like this idea. Maybe the enitre point of the play being feminist is to show that we are all guilty of pre-conceived notions. Like the joke is on us for assuming she did it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, like Bethany, have always assumed that Mrs. Wright was guilty. Then again, who knows for sure? i think if we were put into her shoes we might respond differently...but maybe not. As the saying goes, you have to walk a mile in their shoes before you judge them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. then, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

    ReplyDelete