Friday, January 20, 2012

Poem to my Uterus

Clifton makes some unusual associations like Plath does, but with fewer images. In "Poem to My Uterus" there is this interesting simile in the second and third lines which I skimmed over on first reading: "you have been patient/ as a sock."
What, if anything, is particularly patient about a sock?
The rest of the poem reveals to me through the metaphorical rendering of this defunct uterus, a look at a much mythologized, sometimes domestic, sometimes magical, "women's world."
I can see a sock as a product of women's labor-- a loving, quiet process carried on in private spaces, if we want to get romantic. It is a very useful, surprisingly intimate, little thought of thing. Wrapping up the object, organ, and labor and calling it "patient," tags all of this, and makes Clifton's lamenting "where can I go/ barefoot/without you/ where can you go/ without me," more intelligible and heartbreaking.
"My bloody print/ my estrogen kitchen/ my black bag of desire." An expansion upon the theme begins with a phrase that equally echoes something aggressively primal and strangely domestic. A paw print? A floral print? A fingerprint? Likely all of the above. An identity. And "estrogen kitchen," other than being an awesome band name, alerts me to something alchemical. And when we get to "black bag of desire," my imagination takes an energetic leap to cackling women in black hats with bubbling cauldrons. Something mysterious and otherworldly and powerful. A container of magician's tricks.

3 comments:

  1. I was also interested in the comparison of the uterus to a sock. We most commonly associate socks with negative images such as old, used, or having bad odor. This could very well be what the author is trying to allude to. However, I couldn't help but noticing how well the sock fit in with the rest of the images of footwear in the work. Could there be such a heavy influence of footwear because the author is saying "goodbye" to her uterus (the footwear would suggest a leaving or departing)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a sock just kind of exists to hold feet...that is a kind of patience, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @matt Right! "where will I go/ barefoot/ without you" I didn't pick up on that before.

    @Dr H. I'm thinking I should send my socks on vacation. Or throw them a party.

    ReplyDelete