Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Undecided

I'm not sure what to make of The Sun Also Rises. Obviously Hemingway is a distinguished writer and has many fans, but I do not think I can count myself to be one. To me, this book has been very Perks of Being A Wallflower for adults, which makes their aimlessness even more sad. I understand that Hemingway was probably trying to make a point about the effects of war on a generation of people, but I'm not sure if the effect this work has on people is still rooted in relevance, or simply the fact that this is a "must read". I don't want this blog post to be a "I hate Hemingway" fest, so I suppose I should move on.
I don't know if I could even say that I disliked this book, it just did not resonate with me, as a reader. I think my biggest issue had to do with the lack of feeling. While I respect the idea of not telling the reader what to think and feel, I also think that feelings are what makes literature great to me. I do applaud the intrigue that is created when the characters aren't viewed internally. It makes every one a mystery and every action a symbol. This being said, I'm not sure if that was Hemingway's intention.  I feel like this creation of his was made to mirror the characters. I suppose he couldn't really create this evocative and grandiose tale around people who really don't know where they're going and really don't care. Does anyone else want to defend Hemingway? I really do want to like him, I'm just bleh.

4 comments:

  1. I can understand feeling "bleh" about Hemingway. I like Hemingway in certain aspects such as the mystery of his characters thoughts, but i also dislike his writing style. It just seems a bit cut and dry to me. Maybe if I read some other books of his and had a bigger scope of his writing, I bet I would like him even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I really do feel compelled to like him but I'm just not sure what all the fuss is about. That being said, I'm sure during his time this work was a big WHOA to all his readers.Poor Hemingway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your feelings completely. I want to like this book and to an extent I do and Hemingway as an author but something just keeps holding me back from saying "yes! I love this novel!" and I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that is keeping me from that excitement :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe for you (and Brittany C and Shelbi, too) it's a book that will never really do it for you. Or maybe give it some time and read it again? That has happened to me so many times. I'll read a book, say, "I don't know about this one..." and then come back to it and see it in another way. (The opposite can happen, too!)

    I would really push back against the idea, though, that Hemingway holds back on feelings/emotions. They are there--I think our read-aloud exercises in class are making that clear.

    ReplyDelete