Thursday, January 12, 2012

Ramblings

Maybe it's because I've read "The Author to Her Book" at least a few times and have already discussed the cleverness and necessity of Bradstreet's presenting her book in this manner. Or maybe it's because I wrote my annotated bibliography on Anne Bradstreet last year for 301 and thus have read multiple articles about her poetry. Whatever the reason, I admit that I was a bit bored with "The Author to Her Book" when I reread it for this class. The girlish language was quite obvious, with references to "offspring" (1), "mother" (8), and "homespun cloth" (18). I didn’t really have any new revelations about feminist writing. This is not to say that I think that “The Author to Her Book” is a poorly written poem – not at all! In terms of structure and wording, I found this poem much better written than either of Cavendish’s. Maybe it’s the creative writer in me and having had a class with Dr. Messenger that makes me tend to scrutinize the structure and wording of the poems rather than paying attention to the content.

Anyway, I did like the idea that Cavendish’s poems reflect, as the introduction to her poetry put it, “psychological reactions to the process of writing” (160). The description of the sheer joy of writing for oneself, the anxiety that follows when one realizes that others will read this precious writing, and the desire for somebody to say, “No, this is good!” were definitely relatable.

I think both Brittany and Angela commented that Bradstreet and Cavendish were “rarities” in their days: most authors were men. I was thinking about the fact that things are sort of opposite today, or at least there are equal numbers of men and women writers. Maybe I was thinking more of fanfiction.net, the website where I’ve posted stories and frequently read others’ “fics.” The majority of the authors on that website are female. Likewise, out of the seventeen people in my Intro to Creative Writing class last semester, only three were male. Now, I realize that
there are plenty of male English majors and authors. I just think it’s interesting that sometimes we – or at least I – think of writing as a more feminine pursuit. I’m not saying that this is true – my favorite author, Ted Dekker, is obviously male.

I’m also reminded of an article that we had to read last semester for English 377 – “Composing as a Woman” by Elizabeth Flynn. Among other topics, Flynn discussed the contrast in the typical subjects that men and women tend to write about: women write about relationships, while men write about accomplishments (427-32). Bradstreet’s and
Cavendish’s poems seem to be a combination of the two: the poets describe their mother-child relationships with their writing as well as the tentative accomplishments that their poems represent.

5 comments:

  1. For some reason I can't help but love Anne Bradstreet! Her words just seem so honest when I read them. I also think it's pretty cool that she was the first published poet in America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point about writing being considered feminine. It does appear that English classes tend to be more female heavy. I don't know why that is though because there doesnt seem to be a shortage of male authors in bookstores (except in the romance section perhaps). I also found your comment about women writing about relationships and men writing about accomplishments very interesting. I don't know if its true or not because I have read books about relationships that were written by men. Mitch Albom has written about relationships. Do you have some examples? It wouldn't surprise me if the majority of men and women fall into the stereotypical goal oriented male and family oriented female writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make an excellent point about how relatable this poem is. everyone wants to hear their written work, or their "baby", praised. it is innate within the human condition to want to get praised for something you have done. Bradstreet was a rarity in her day, but it does not take away from her relatableness either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana B said...
    I like your point "Cavendishes poems reflect 'psychological reactions to the process of writing' (160). The description of the sheer joy of writing for oneself, the anxiety that follows when one realizes that others will read this precious writing, and the desire for somebody to say, “No, this is good!” were definitely relatable."

    It is a very good illustration of the thought processes and deep inner struggles and barriers that affected the work of these female writers. Like we discussed in class, society tended to deter the publishing of women's writing during this time. Another factor that affected whether or not a woman was published was whether or not she felt confident enough to put her out there to possibly be scrutinized. Bradstreet and Cavendish were very critical of their work and how it would be perceived. As a result, they were reluctant to publish their work.

    I agree with you. It's difficult to "put yourself out there" to let other see and judge your work, but I think it's true that we are our worst critic.

    ReplyDelete