Friday, January 20, 2012

The joys of womanhood, or not so much


I thought Clifton's "wishes for sons" was extremely comical. It gives a whole new meaning to the idea of walk a mile in my shoes. It was a different tone compared to the one in "Poem to my Uterus," "To My Last Period" and "Homage to my hips". In those poems she embraced her period, her uterus, and her hips. They were the things that in a sense defined who she was. However, "in wishes for sons," she describes the more negative side of being a woman. A period is not the "beautiful" thing she describes in "To My Last Period" (14). Instead of being something that is beautiful, she now speaks of her period in terms that make it seem more of a burden. It's something that puts a women in awkward situation like getting it early when she is wearing a white dress. It would be interesting to know what changed her perspective making her seem so bitter toward the things that make her a woman.

4 comments:

  1. I did enjoy reading a comical viewpoint rather than the somewhat common, sometimes uncomfortable, "male-bashing" poetry that I was shown in English 301. I found it more entertaining, and definitely much easier to read as a male.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clifton's poem was very comical to read unlike some poetry read in other English classes which is why I enjoyed it as much as I did and why I think others did as well. I love that she gives insight into what it is like to be a woman and makes it enjoyable to read instead of using her words to paint a more graphic, uncomfortable picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't necessarily think Clifton became 'bitter', but simply wanted to show that even the proudest of women have their trials and strife. Being an empowered woman doesn't mean that it is easier to be a woman and i like that Clifton shows both sides of how a woman can feel about herself.

    ReplyDelete