Saturday, January 21, 2012

Metaphors

Generally, I'm not a huge fan of Sylvia Plath. However, i really liked this poem. I felt that Plath definitely expressed some of the feelings that pregnancy can bring to a woman. I like that in class we touched on the fact that maybe Plath was not bitter about her pregnancy, but was simply remarking that on that particular day, she felt that she could not handle her situation. Pregnancy can certainly cause a woman to quickly change her mind from glowing to gloomy. I also like that her last line, "Boarded the train there's no getting off," could mean several things: that she is hesitant about her pregnancy and feels stuck, or that she is committed about this pregnancy although it is tough right now. So glad we read this poem, as i wouldn't have on any other occasion. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you suggested that maybe "Metaphors" isn't a reflection of how Plath felt every single day for nine months. I almost wish that she had written a follow-up poem of sorts - a happier one. I also really like the idea that "Boarded the train there's no getting off" could be an expression of (resigned?) commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how open this poem was to interpretation. She is not outright telling you how she feels about pregnancy or if it is even about her. This poem really shows off Plath's gift for intrigue.

    ReplyDelete