Friday, January 27, 2012

Hemingway frustrations

This may just be me and if it is, that's okay but I just can't wrap my head around this novel and Hemingway in general. This is the first book I've ever read by Hemingway so that could very well be my problem but I am at a loss for words as to what to say about what we have read thus far. While I understand the complexities of the novel's characters and can make the connections between subtle things such as the bull and the men of the novel and the details Hemingway uses, I am still very much just blah about this book. It isn't that I don't enjoy it, I do to a certain extent but the more I read, the more frustrated I get with it. Brett seems to be in a love triangle with just about every male character in the book, Robert Cohn is probably the most pathetic man I've had the displeasure of reading about, Jake and his love for a woman like Brett makes no sense to me and, poor Mike has to deal with his fiancé, the woman he loves, being, for lack of a better word, a hussy. I think my biggest issue with this novel is the characters. In the beginning I couldn't figure out where some of these people were coming from and where they were getting the money for all these outings and trips and now reading about this sick love rectangle Cohn, Mike, Jake, Brett, and Romero have going on just kills me. I can't say that I don't like the book, I'm just not understanding how this lifestyle is okay. Maybe I'm a sucker for simplicity in love and wanting Jake and Brett to just be together, or for Brett to just be a one man kind of woman, or who knows but I'm just very blah and a bit frustrated with Hemigway and the way he decided to write this novel.

1 comment:

  1. A few posts down I wrote about how this might be a novel that never clicks for a reader, or it might be a novel that a reader needs to go back to and re-read after time has passed.

    But yeah, if you are looking for simple love (what the heck is that? ha!) and ordinary characters, then this book won't be your cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete