Friday, March 2, 2012

The Yellow Wallpaper


I realized that a lot of students in our class have posted about Charlotte Gilman’s The Yellow Wallpaper, but I think this is happening because it is one of the most interesting, yet horrifying stories we have read at the same time. Reading a work such as The Yellow Wallpaper made me feel like there was an "eerie-ness" in the air after I have completed reading it, as well as think, “This could happen to anyone.” I think the fact that Gilman wrote the story in first person made it as creepy and horrifying as it is. Reading the story, I as a reader did not realize the madness that the narrator was sinking into until the last possible second.  I think that’s what scared me the most: the possibility of this insane madness happening to anyone. The narrator sounded so sane and composed throughout the work the entire time until the very end when I as a reader really realized what was going on. I loved this story. I have read it before in Professor Hershey’s English 204 class, and was very excited seeing that we were to read it for this class. The Yellow Wallpaper is a work like nothing that I have read before. I cannot wait to share it with my students when I become a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, the madness this woman goes through could happen to anyone. I understand now why people in mental hospitals sometimes don't get any better because they are locked inside with their own imaginiations and thoughts which can become real to people if left alone for that long every day and told not to do anything but sit and think. I would probably react the same way if I was told to "rest" and not do anything; it is horrifying.

    ReplyDelete