Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Robert or Edna: Who is to blame?

Even though the ending of The Awakening is quite ambiguous, I would venture the guess that most people interpreted the ending as Edna basically committing suicide.  It seems as if she is about to die, as the last paragraph, where she "heard her father's voice...her sister Margaret's...the barking of an old dog...the spurs of the cavalry...the hum of bees, and the musky odor of pinks" (116), can be interpreted as the "life flashing before your eyes" scene.  Anyway, for the sake of this argument, I am going to go ahead and believe that Edna did in fact commit suicide.

But why would Edna, who seems to have a caring husband, three young kids, and plenty of money, want to kill herself.  The answer, of course, is Robert.  Robert, through playing his "flirting" game with Edna, actually starts to fall in love with her, and her with him.  I concede, Robert is in quite a tough predicament.  He can either break Edna's heart by telling her that he does not want to be with her to save both of their reputations, or he can go ahead and be with her but at the same time ruin both of their reputations.  However, Robert clearly got himself into this mess, and because of his flirtatious nature started playing with Edna's emotions.  Therefore, I believe that Robert is the main reason that Edna commits suicide.

The only time in which Edna actually shows suicidal tendencies is during her actual suicide.  Never before did she show any signs of committing such an act, and although she could be labeled as emotional unstable throughout the story, she seemed perfectly happy....until Robert left that note: "I love you.  Good-by---because I love you" (112).  Edna, upon reading the note, stays up all night, and it can be inferred that she made the decision that night to commit suicide the next day.  Not surprisingly, the next day Edna goes down to the beach, knowing exactly what she wanted to do.  This suicide was thus premeditated, and Robert's note was the catalyst.

While Edna is swimming deeper and deeper out to shore, she starts to think about all the depressing things in her life.  I think everyone, when one bad thing happens to them, starts to think about how everything in their life is awful just because that one thing didn't work out the right way.  For example, Edna again mentions Robert's letter right before drowning, but before that mentions how she felt that her husband and children "thought they could possess her, body and soul" and "How Mademoiselle Reisz would have laughed...if she knew!" and then thinks about how her art work is sub-par (116).  It seems as though Edna is "piling on" herself, taking her heartbreak from Robert and then thinking about how nothing goes her way.  To me, suicide was a cop out for Edna, and instead of dealing with the situation (which, in the grand scheme of things, is trivial) she widows her husband and leaves her children motherless (not to mention she probably made Robert feel real great about himself).

I think both characters are to blame for the suicide, Robert for being a player and then catching feelings, and Edna for being a coward instead of dealing with her emotional issues head on.  Thoughts?


6 comments:

  1. You make some good points Ryan! I agree that the suicide was a surprise I didn't see coming. I don't know if Robert can be blamed for the choice Edna makes because after she stays up all night she realizes that "To-day it is Arobin; to-morrow it will be someone else." (Chopin 115) I think she realizes that she would not have long-term happiness with Robert, or anyone else. I believe Edna is ultimately responsible for her choice to commit suicide, but I'm not completely sure of her reasons. I don't think she does it for her children. Maybe she originally thought Robert would bring her happiness, but realizes (after thinking about it all night) that she is unable to find happiness with Leonce, her children, Robert, or anyone else. This sends her into a pit of despair that results in her taking her own life instead of living a life of unhappiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a strong argument, Angela, but I still see a major shift in disposition after Edna gets the "farewell" not from Robert. After this, I think she starts to realize that she will never be happy because she cannot be with Robert. That is just how I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you make of her optimism, about leaving Leonce, prior to Roberts return? If Robert was the key to her happiness, and her desire to live, why didn't she kill herself when he left before? I just think there is something more to the story that we haven't discovered yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that is might be the first time I have ever actually agreed with basically everything that you've said. Please don't take that as a bad thing. I think that both characters are a to blame, but I believe with Angela more. Edna is ultimately to blame, Robert did not "trick her" into thinking that he was serious. She did that on her own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ angela, again, a good point. I should re-read that section and analyze it. I still would argue that Edna's actions are because she knows she cannot be with Robert, but you make a very strong case against that.

    @ rebecca, no problem I'm glad you actually agree with something I have said! We seem to usually have opposite views on things, but I would agree with you that Edna is to blame. Maybe I am naive or ignorant, but I don't think, no matter how bad life is, that suicide is an option. And, as I have said before, when it comes down to it, Edna's "worries" are not that bad, or, at the very least, it could have been much, much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Robert is the main reason Edna commits suicide but Edna should not have fallen for Robert in the first place. Edna was married and knew that Robert was a flirt. Most women find it amusing and enjoy when men make over them. Edna probably started out as just liking the attention but with her husband being gone and not being around to keep her occupied her affections swayed. Edna should just have kept herself away from Robert or not spent time with him alone.

    ReplyDelete