Friday, March 30, 2012

Shukumar's Last Confession

The ending of "A Temporary Matter" was completely unexpected for me. I thought that they were starting to repair their tattered marriage and would finally overcome the grief that had laid them both low. It was rather shocking when Shoba confessed that she was moving out of the house. But Shukumar's response was like a punch in the gut. It completely destroyed any chance they had of working things out.

Why did Shukumar tell her about their son? Was it a kneejerk reaction? He was hurt, and in the midst of his pain he lashed back out at her? Or did he feel she needed to know? Was he just continuing the game, not out of malice or anger but because he needed to tell her something equally shocking?

I think the first option is the most likely. It's a natural response when hurt to lash out against whatever hurt you. If that's the case, would you blame Shukumar for hurting her back?

3 comments:

  1. I don't necessarily think he said those things to hurt her. Perhaps he felt that, if she was actually going to leave him, she had the right to know those things about their life together before their lives became separate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Stephanie. I think it was the only thing left to say. It also goes along with the theme of being unprepared and some things being impossible to prepare for. I kind of entertain this idea with my post, that reframing the whole "game" between the couple as a funeral ritual takes the confusion and the sting out of it. But only if you know that's what you're doing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure,I think that it is very difficult to assert his motives for saying what he said. Maybe it was a bit of tough love. The two are married and dealt(or didn't deal) with the loss of a child. I think that maybe he thought it would help snap her out of it?

    ReplyDelete