Thursday, March 1, 2012

Initial Thoughts Regarding "The Awakening"


            In my opinion, Edna is probably the most strong-willed character that we have read about in class so far in regards to feminism.  Although at the beginning of the novel she appears to be just like any other Victorian era wife, lacking a distinct individuality or the ability to construct one, she clearly begins to shed this perception by the closing of chapter ten.
            Edna’s expected role in life is made evident very early on in the novel.  In the first chapter, Edna’s husband, Leonce Pontellier, makes it clear that he views his wife as a mere possession.  After seeing that Edna has been sun burnt from swimming, Leonce remarks, “”You are burnt beyond recognition,” he added, looking at his wife as one looks at a valuable piece of personal property which has suffered some damage” (Chopin 2).   Leonce elaborates further on his feelings toward his wife in chapter four when he reveals that he does not approve of her as a mother or as a wife.  He believes that the perfect woman is one who “idolize(s) their children, worship(s) their husbands, and esteem(s) it a holy privilege to efface themselves as individuals and grow wings as ministering angels” (8).  This feeling of inferiority obviously transfers to Edna, and is expressed as she is brought to tears one night not knowing exactly why she is crying.
            Perhaps it is due to this pressure that Leonce places on Edna that she begins to break away from society’s expectations and develop her own individuality.  Upon viewing the ocean, Edna beings to view herself as her own voice and notes that she is “beginning to realize her position in the universe as a human being, and recognize(s) her relations as an individual to the world within and about her” (13).  This feeling of empowerment continues to consume her throughout the beginning of the novel, which gives meaning to the title The Awakening.
            I have read this novel before in a previous class, however, I feel it is much more relevant to this course considering the subject matter.  I would also like to add that while I do have sympathy for the character of Edna, I cannot stand Robert.  I feel as though he is an immature, selfish man who only seeks women out for his own benefit, even if they are married.  He clearly knows the mind games that he places these women through, which proves to be very frustrating for me to read.  If the novel were to have a villain I think Robert would satisfy the role.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that there is a definite "awakening" occurring in Edna and I'm curious to find out what she's going to do now that Robert is leaving. I don't know if I would consider Robert a villain (yet) but he certainly seems to be a playboy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with everything that you are saying. At first I was not too fond of Edna, but later came to respect her when she refused to obey her husband. I would not want to be treated and talked to like a child either. I have never read this before but the moment that Robert came onto the page, my metaphorical warning bells went off in my head. I do not think he's good news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting post- I really look forward to reading more and discovering where this "awakening" will lead Edna. I have been looking to find a cause for her "breaking away" as well, and I haven't been able to find any satisfactory answers. It may be partially due to her husband's behavior, but that just doesn't seem probable. He doesn't seem entirely disagreeable (and if he was and has been in the past, it seems he would have pushed Edna away a long time ago). I think there is something deeper that motivated Edna's "breaking away." I can't quite put my finger on it yet, though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The novel so far seems like it will lead to very intense scrutiny of the duality of Mother/Woman and how they are not the same. It looks to be an interesting ride.

    ReplyDelete