Sunday, April 1, 2012

The truth is....

I thought the dynamic of the relationship between Shoba and Shukumar was very interesting in "A Temporary Matter." At first, I thought the way Shoba went about telling Shukumar that she was leaving him was really childish. I kept thinking "You are a grown woman. Act like one and tell him how you really feel!" Then I realized that sometimes it's easier said than done. I think she chose to tell him using this approach because it was the only alternative she could think of. There had been a communication barrier that had been growing between them since they lost their child. I guess it's not so easy to come out and say "Honey, I am leaving you and moving out" when basic conversations like "Hi honey, how was your day?" are few and far between. I think the ironic part is that in an effort to rid herself of the secret she has been keeping, she finds out about an even bigger secret that Shukumar has been keeping from her. He had seen and held their stillborn son. Other than using it as a means to tell Shukumar that she was leaving, it's hard to know if Shoba had other motives behind the method she used to tell Shukumar her secret. I think that maybe she was hoping Shukumar would say something that would give her a reason to stay or justify her leaving? Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I think that she was definitely holding out for a chance to stay. I think she wanted to fight for something, but the fight was all gone.

    ReplyDelete