Sunday, April 8, 2012

Nothing More Exhilarating

This is more of an opinion post , rather than a declarative one...

I decided that I liked Junot Diaz as an author when I read the quote, "Nothing more exhilarating ... than saving yourself by the simple act of waking.” I wasn't a huge fan of the book or the author's style of writing until I read this simple quote. Sometimes for me all it takes for me to change my mind is a simple quote.

This quote is so true. I fully believe in it. We can take this quote literally or figuratively. When someone is sleeping and having a terrible nightmare, all we have to do to save ourselves is wake up; and how exhilarating does it feel when we realize it was only a dream? Or like in the novel when Oscar is falling asleep at the wheel and he realizes how exhilarating it was that he saved himself by waking up?

I love this quote in the novel and when taken out of context. I can safely say that this is now one of my favorite quotes that I have read in any novel.

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just crazy? Do you think we can save ourselves by 'waking up' and is it exhilarating?

2 comments:

  1. This idea really struck me as well.The sweet intoxication and relief of sweet is equal to the exhilaration of waking up. This part of the book was probably my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this post, Molly. I agree, it is definitely a worthwhile quote to discuss. For me when I read that quote, I'm reminded all over again of The Awakening. I took the "simple act of waking" to mean (maybe in Oscar's situation) pulling youself out of depression or anxiety and becoming aware of the world around you for the first time. It's a great feeling to have when you adopt a more positive outlook on life.

    ReplyDelete