Saturday, April 7, 2012

Oscar Wao as Lord of the Rings?

Despite Yunior’s claim that their world “ain’t no…Middle Earth” (194), I would argue that the connections between Oscar’s world and Tolkien’s Middle Earth run deeper than a mere attempt to show Oscar’s (and Yunior’s) interest in fantasy.

We’ve said that the phrase “The only way out is in”(209) refers to Yunior’s and Lola’s attempts to understand how fukú has functioned in the de Leon family by going back and tracing its origins and effects. But the phrase also reminds me of Frodo’s journey to destroy the Ring. He must do this to destroy Sauron and his forces of evil, who will otherwise overrun Middle Earth and basically obliterate everything. In order to destroy the Ring, Frodo must return to where the Ring was created –back into Mordor to Mount Doom. Thus for Yunior, Lola, and Frodo, “The only way out is in.”

After reading Bennett’s post about Beli, I realized that most people’s feelings toward Beli parallel my own toward Smeagol. Throughout “The Two Towers” movie, I felt awful for Smeagol – tortured by Sauron’s henchmen and tormented every moment by Gollum, the evil half of his personality from whom he seems to want to be free. However, by “The Return of the King,” I despised him for what he was doing to Frodo, leading him into the gigantic spider’s lair to be eaten alive, and especially for what he was doing to Sam (because nobody messes with Sam), trying to turn Frodo against him. But even though I hated what Gollum had become, I never wanted him to die the way that he did. I still felt terrible for him because of what he experienced – much the way most of us feel toward Beli because of her own unspeakably awful life of abuse.

Beli and Smeagol have alike endings with similar causes. Yunior says, “Beli [had] been waiting for something like her body her whole life….Like the accidental discovery of the One Ring” (94). Technically, Bilbo Baggins stumbles across the Ring, but Smeagol has found it first. And in a way, both of these discoveries destroy these characters. Beli’s beauty (in the Dominican sense) leads to her abuse, and her body (SPOILERS!) basically destroys her and kills her. And Smeagol’s discovery leads to the twisting of his mind, the corruption of his soul, and his awful death – all for the sake of “his precious.”

Maybe the world of Oscar Wao resembles Middle Earth more than Yunior thinks.

7 comments:

  1. Apologies for the lack of citations for the Lord of the Rings material. I don’t own the books and I’ve only read one of them anyway. I’m basically going off of my memories of the movies. And if any of my remarks are incorrect, somebody with more LoTR knowledge please correct me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your observations and comparison here. It makes me think about Oscar's interest in fantasy and sci-fi as doubly ironic because their quest structures are about strong characters facing problems and "going in" to them willingly, but reading them is an act of escapism, at best morally neutral. Oscar, Abelard, and Beli are people who stay plugged in and tuned out and they need Yunior to pull the threads together for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, Bethany! Sometimes I read your posts twice or more because I like them so much. I think that this is a really good comparison! I was very excited to read this when I saw the title :)

    Beli and Smeagol definitely do have like endings and I think your comparison is dead on. I felt the same way about Smeagol during the second and last movie, I felt for him during the second and I hated what he did in the third movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this so much! Such an awesome comparison!I feel like Oscar would be completely down for this association.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A terrific post and smart comments, too. I especially like Erin's ideas about escapism not really being escapism.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But even though I hated what Gollum had become, I never wanted him to die the way that he did. I still felt terrible for him because of what he experienced – much the way most of us feel toward Beli because of her own unspeakably awful life of abuse. men wedding rings

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ever be the fan of Lord of the Rings ,even buy a crown ring for myself,but now im obsessed with the “Game of Thrones.”

    ReplyDelete